Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Christian Siriano hosts ‘Love Games’ Show

Christian Siriano
photo by Alicia Nieto for Factio Media

Lumen nightclub turned into the definition of fierce last Friday night. Wicker Park’s edgy boutique Bonnie & Clyde’s and Christian Siriano united to showcase their fashion collections in a sleek runway show and Lumen worked as the perfect backdrop for this sophisticated spring/summer showing.

Bonnie & Clyde’s is the place-to-shop for unique and refreshing fashion, and Siriano is the designer-to-shop for dramatic and artistic pieces. And although the young, energetic designer showcased designs all over Europe and New York, this was his first time in Chicago. Siriano’s line is sold exclusively in Chicago at Bonnie & Clyde’s.
- Chloé van der Wel

Check out our interview with Christian!

RUNWAY TO RETAIL: Tell us about your internship with Vivienne Westwood and working for McQueen.
CHRISTIAN SIRIANO: It was so long ago but amazing! Westwood was really interesting. I remember getting the position there because of a teacher I had who had worked there for years and years and years. She was so fabulous. She was like, go work at Westwood, you will love it. You are fabulous. I'm like ok! It was so hard and everybody was so mean, but it became easier. That led to the position at McQueen which was amazing and an internship as well. At McQueen, it was so much more responsibility because they really rely on people that are talented and work hard. The other designers (besides Alexander who was amazing), were really inspirational and I just loved them, so it was great.

RTR: You make wearable art. How are you inspired by art?
CS:
I think art is really inspiring. It's so interesting because I am so inspired by art, but never know what artists are or who they are or what they are doing or what ideas they have. I just like what they create. I try not to take it so seriously. I think that's why when I do pieces, it's organic and not forced.

RTR: How would you describe your personal style?
CS:
I'm totally that artsy weird kid with spiky hair and big chunky glasses, a downtown hipster boy, but I like to wear flashy, fun things.

RTR: If you could go back to any time period, what would you choose?
CS:
That is a tough one because there are so many. I even think the 60s and 70s were so cool and fun. I kind of wish clothes were still made that way. Today, a general look is flip flops, baggy jeans and t-shirt from wherever, but back then a general wardrobe was still really cool and modern. And then, obviously, who wouldn't want to live in the 1800s and wear Ascots everyday, how fabulous.

RTR: Who are you inspired by as far as other designers?
CS:
I think now that I feel more like a real designer, and I do collections and shows and all these things, I think that every designer inspires me in a different way. I don't feel like I'm on the same level, but now that I'm selling in these same stores, next to these great designers, I feel like I'm inspired in so many different ways. There is always something different, all of these different ideas.

What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of your hometown?
CS: I think of weird things not so fabulous, like boaters and yacht clubs and Naval Academy, which is not me, but you know, that's what I think of.

RTR: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be?
CS:
I would be in Chicago, which is fabulous! I'm all about the here and now and I love that. I never feel like I need to be somewhere else!








Photos by Alicia Nieto for Factio Media

No comments: