Tuesday, February 19, 2008

French Vogue's Carine Roitfeld

Carine Roitfeld, the editor-in-chief of French Vogue, is the epitome of style. Check out her recent feature in New York Magazine titled Anti-Anna. Here's some of our favorite lines of hers from the article.

On how she styles shoots: “I do a movie in my mind,” she says. “Who is this girl?”

On good lighting: “It makes me happy because there is vewy gweat lighting,” she says about the restaurant. “Vewy flatter.” (Roitfeld has reached a compromise with the hard American r by converting them all to ws.)

On American editors vs. French: “The American editors are very, how you say, slick,” Roitfeld says. “Very perfect. Hair is perfect, they have a manicure. They are very clean, they follow fashion. I don’t think they take many risks. They do the total look of Prada. Me, I wear a lot of Japanese piece mixed with a bit of classic Hermès and Prada. Even though jeans suit me, I never wear jeans.”

“It’s very difficult not to become a puppet,” she says of it all. “Like Anna, she becomes so iconic that she becomes like a puppet. I don’t want to be like that, I don’t want to wear this uniform, I don’t want to be just an envelope.”

On the business of fashion: “I’m not a business girl,” Roitfeld says. “I will never be a business girl, but I will say, for Anna Wintour, that I respect successful people, I like things that are success. But this is really American.”

Be sure to read the full story! Click here

No comments: