Thursday, July 31, 2008

MCL Designs

Matthew Campbell Laurenza

Matthew Campbell Laurenza is an up-and-coming jewelry designer that has quickly become one of Chicago's most sought after men in the business. Born in Colorado, Laurenza, 31, has always been fascinated with arts and crafts and was heavily influenced by the colorful artwork and antiques of his Native American and Italian lineage. Moving to places such as New Mexico, Texas, Kentucky also played a part in his interesting and worldly designs. His signature style is pairing sterling silver with enamel, and encrusting each piece with colored sapphires, rubies and other semi-precious stones. He designs each piece using the most precious materials and finest natural stones, guaranteeing that no one customer will have the exact same piece of jewelry. Laurenza says that when color is used in the right way and to the right effect, it can show the essence of true personality and reflect a person's mood and feelings on any given day, at any given moment. For Fall/Winter 2008, Matthew's collection was inspired by his natural surroundings and features an eclectic blend of rich colors. He will also be launching his first collection of men's designs, which will include cuff links, bracelets, necklaces and rings. You can find Laurenza's collection at Bergdorf Goodman and select Neiman Marcus locations throughout the United States. For more information, visit www.MCLdesign.net.

Runway To Retail: How are you inspired by travel with your designs?
Matthew Campbell Laurenza: I get influenced by moods which people and places seem to project onto me. So when I travel, I not only see different personalities based on the ethnicity of the region but I also get to see many awe inspiring places. Many of my works have had strong Gothic influences as no matter how many times I see a Gothic Cathedral or building I am always left in awe.
RTR: What are your top destinations for inspiration in your work?
MCL: I love big cities like New York, Chicago, Rome, Paris and London. I think I am intrigued by the blending of so many periods and styles of architecture. As a designer, I retain little design aspects from this building or that building which I can draw from to make my jewels just a little bit more interesting.

RTR: Who is the "Matthew Campbell Laurenza" customer?
MCL: A woman who knows what she likes. One who wants to make a conversation or a statement when she enters a room.
RTR: What do you think attracts the Chicago woman to your collection?
MCL:
I think it is partly the color and partly its uniqueness as a jewelry style. I believe that people like attention and fashion is one way to receive it. A colorful burst on the wrist or hand adds interest to a possibly plain or colorless outfit. If this color then turns out to be something new or unique, then well, it can lead to a whole conversation.

RTR: When in Chicago, where are your hangouts? What neighborhood best reflects your customer and why?
MCL: I enjoy hanging out at RL. Since I tend to stay downtown, it is very convenient for me and is near the Neiman Marcus on Michigan Avenue, so good for drinks right after personal appearances. They have great Hamburgers which is one of my comfort foods and good cocktails and seem to always have a decent crowd for people watching.

Well, I sell in two Neiman Marcus outlets in Chicago, Northbrook and Michigan Avenue. Both stores represent a totally different client base, yet I am equally successful in both. I think it depends on the woman and if she likes my work.
-Katherine Mingey and Melissa Maynard

1 comment:

Unknown said...

IN PUERTO RICO M.C.L is also a very important jewelry brand. Lido Jewelers is doing a great job with the brand locally. Looking forward for Matthew's visit on March.