Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lisa Kingsley's Tulum Series

Chicago designer Lisa Kingsley knows a thing or two about travel for inspiration, not to mention, that sought after celeb following from Madonna to Angelina Jolie. The designer, who splits her time between Tulum, Mexico and Chicago, is opening a store in San Miguel de Allende at the end of March called "Be Here Now." Lisa is in Chicago now for her trunk show at Aberle (1101 W. Webster) Wednesday, February 18th from 5 - 8 p.m. featuring the Tulum Series. Enjoy a wine tasting by Vision Chicago and Sweet Mandy B Treats while you browse her newest collection!

We caught up with the designer to discuss how Mexico inspires her designs, how she's inspired as a designer and what she's designing now.

RUNWAY TO RETAIL: Tell us how Mexico inspires you as a designer.
LISA KINGSLEY: Mexico inspires my lifestyle in general. What people may not realize about Mexico is that it's a vastly hip, fresh, stylistic country with tons of amazing cities and people. Mexico City is like Paris in a sense. Chic and rustic. Tulum is my home away from home. It's easy to soak up the great energy there on the beach with the super sleepy styled hotels, cabanas & nature which influence my designs. Then I travel over to San Miguel where I have a 1920's colonial house and work with generations of leather artisans that are now like family to me because we work hand in hand to make the collection.

RTR: How are you inspired as a designer?
LK: For me, it's about working with people, not mass-producing and keeping my brand fresh and yet classic, while not following trends.

RTR: What are your go-to styles for handbags?
LK: My go-to styles right now are an oversized clutch called the "ASHLAND" and a sac called the "ASHLAND."

RTR: What kind of materials are you working with now?
LK: I'm working with cobra, python, ostrich and lizard these days. Also, I work with one farm that releases three eggs into the wild for every egg incubated!

For more information about Lisa Kingsley, visit www.lisakingsley.com.

No comments: