Wednesday, August 6, 2008

DailyCandy's Sweet Deal

DailyCandy just got a pretty sweet deal. The company just sold to Comcast for $125 million. Dany Levy founded the e-mail newsletter company in 2000, which has since grown readership to 2.5 million. In '03, Bob Pittman's Pilot Group bought a controlling stake in the company for less than $3 million. We're wondering if Dany wished to wait until, maybe, now (although she does have a significant 20% stake). At any rate, we interviewed her a bit back and here are our favorite parts.

On founding DailyCandy

"I feel incredibly lucky to have created a brand that resonates so strongly with its subscribers, and feel even luckier to work with such a talented team. The entire DailyCandy staff is whip smart, funny, insanely dedicated, and a blast to work with every day. I love that DailyCandy makes its subscribers "in the know" with its concise, witty daily emails. It’s also tremendously satisfying that the people we feature get such a powerful reaction from our voraciously responsive readers. In that sense we have such a nice impact on the businesses we write about...young designers send us such touching feedback about how much attention, from both customers and other media, they got after being featured."

On her style

"I am ridiculously simple when it comes to my personal style. My default “uniform" is a pair of jeans and a black tank. That said, I have a wicked weak spot for shoes, so I suppose that is where my creative expression plays itself out."

On what people are surprised to know about her

"That I am a creature of habit who loves her sleep, her home, her daily routine of work, long runs, and hanging out with my good friends. I am basically a very simple creature."

To read the rest of our interview with Dany Levy, check out Factio Magazine, click here.

No comments: