Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Josie Maran's Cosmetics, And a Moment with Josie

Josie Maran makes it easy for women to join the green movement with her new eco-friendly cosmetic line. Josie Maran Cosmetics uses plastic, glass, aluminum, and paper packaging that can be recycled. Better yet, their blush, bronzing powder, cream blush, cream bronzer, eye shadow, and finger paints are all packaged in biodegradable plastic which allows even the busiest woman to become a friend to the environment.

Josie Maran started her makeup line in order to give something back. Organic and natural ingredients give the makeup a lighter feel than most heavy powders. This is because at one point in Josie’s life she did not believe in makeup and preferred to go without it. The proof is evident in the sheer wear of the makeup. Josie Maran Cosmetics gives a woman a fresh, youthful glow and doesn’t allow makeup to weigh her down, while they accentuate and bring out a woman’s natural beauty instead of covering up who she really is.
-Jackie Medler

We caught up with Josie to hear all about her organic line of makeup...

Runway To Retail: Tell us about your cosmetics line!
JOSIE MARAN:
The products are made with superior ingredients and housed in chic, biodegradable packaging, embrace eco-friendly initiatives wherever possible. All Josie Maran Cosmetics formulas are created with natural, organic, nontoxic and gentle ingredients (including avocado, soybean, and shea butter), as well as innovative proprietary formulas that allow them to look and feel just like high-end luxe brands, so there is no longer a trade off between luxurious and natural. Our efforts include small but important steps – printing only when necessary and using recycled paper and eco-friendly products in our day-to-day operations. Our display units at our retail counters have been constructed from sustainable materials and we do our best to be responsible in our manufacturing and shipping materials. We learn as we go and these things take time, but we're getting there.

RTR: What made you want to create an organic line of cosmetics?
JM: I grew up in Northern California in a family that always cared about environmental and social issues – so you could say my awareness of environmental issues was just a natural part of my upbringing. But now, as a new mom starting a new company in this era of “going green,” I have definitely become much more conscious of my impact on the environment and I’m always taking steps to lessen my ecological footprint. Becoming a mother inspired me to take a look at my life and ask, "What can I do for the world? How can I contribute?" Having spent so many hours in the makeup chair, I was ready to create my signature line. The result, Josie Maran Cosmetics .

RTR: Where do you shop worldwide? Where do you shop online?
JM: Evidence of Evolution (www.evidenceofevolution.com) makes the coolest dresses and shirts for women, plus shirts and hoodies for men. Locally designed and sewn in Los Angeles, they even have an organic line and will be selling at Barneys this fall.

RTR: What is the perfect summer day for you?
JM: Summer is my favorite time of year! I think it's because everyone seems to have that happy, healthy glow that only summer can bring. I love nature and am inspired by it, so a typical summer day is being outdoors with my daughter Rumi Joon.

RTR: What is the best life/career advice that you have ever gotten?
JM: EcoFabulous superstar Zem Joaquin is a new friend of mine, and she recently told me that it’s always important to “walk the talk.” This is something I’m definitely conscious of since I always want to be truthful and genuine personally and professionally. Being an entrepreneur, activist and mother keeps me on top of always trying to practice what I preach.

Tell us about your signature style.
JM:
I am hardly your typical glamour girl. In fact, I didn’t even like to wear makeup when I first became a model. I am a child of bohemian artists; I grew up in Northern California with a mother who was a “true beauty” who never wore a stitch of makeup. However, my attitude towards makeup changed as my modeling career kicked into overdrive and I started working with the top makeup artists in the business. They showed me how to apply makeup and helped me see that it is something that doesn’t just transform a look, but boosts confidence and the spirit as well.

Josie Maran Cosmetics are now available online at www.josiemarancosmetics.com and throughout select Barneys New York counters.

No comments: